The Legacy of Communication Technology in Learning


Unsurprisingly, while listening to this book, I noticed the similarities between each of the evolutions of communication methods. Though I thought the history was fascinating and the genius to develop each new incarnation of the means to communicate inspiring, the constant of human nature is disappointing.

The remarkable and life altering changes that each technology brings and the positive and negative results that ensue are all fodder when it comes to human nature. For instance, knowledge becomes more accessible and offers the possibility of earning a better living due to accurate information leading to improved understanding of how to be successful in a chosen field. Yet, some of the people that are in power and want to maintain control try to use the newest means as a way to control information and therefore, people, and maintain their power and money.

The newest communication technologies, as far as education is concerned, can offer equity in learning. However, access costs money and every evolution of technology leaves behind some people while it also gives other people a better chance to succeed.

There is something in this history about how well we know human nature; it has been documented and seems to never change. Why is this? And how can this knowledge help us become better educators?


Comments

  1. Human nature seems to be the one true constant in our evolution.

    Did you listen to the book on Audible? That's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I listened to it and was grateful to find it because I am so behind right now - it was really helpful to listen to it. I found it on Hoopla, an app the Prince William Library provides for free, with ebooks, audio books, movies and tv shows - it is was a lucky find to discover it there!

      Delete
  2. That was me above - I was signed into another account and did not realize it, not meaning to be "Unknown" :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment